Wednesday 22 May 2013

Bank negotiations

Matte and I are right in the middle of bank negotiations for the loan for our apartment. I find this process very interesting as it is so different compared to any other purchases. Sweden is not a country in which you haggle in and suddenly when you take a loan, that is the exact skills that are required to get the wanted rate.
I have my excel-sheet filled with loan amounts, interest rates, repayment rates, ratios between floating rates and fixed rates, ration between first and second mortgage and I thank my lucky stars that I understand the numbers floating before my eyes.


We have now talked with 6 different banks, received 3 quotes and are awaiting two more and a final decision whether they will offer or not from the sixth. We will then choose the three we will carry on with and then give them the opportunity of offering a better rate or value-added services.


I have really received a lot of help from my colleagues in this process. As it is a hot subject at my work and being the youngest one there I am lavished with tips, do's and don't, their own experiences and thoughts. All this information is processed and ends up, in one way or another, on my Excel-file. The only tip I can give is...take your time. It's a process that has taken us 2 months and we are still not done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment