Sunday 23 November 2014

Mac - Likes and Dislikes

I am slowly trying to get used to Apple. The new work computer is a Macbook so for the past week I've been trying to get the hang of how things work and all the shortcuts. My approach has been to use the computer as much as possible in the most usual everyday activities, like writing, surfing and coding.

So far these are my major likes and dislikes with the Mac.



Dislike:

  1. Where is the "Delete" button? Instead I have to solve this with different shortcuts depending if I want to delete text or files (Why?). I never realised how much I use this button until I switched. Thankfully, this button is available on the external keyboard.
  2. One button approach. Even if it's possible to right-click by clicking with two fingers or in the bottom corner, it feels awkward and is easy to miss-click.
  3. The zoom button. What a waste of a button. You can never know what it will do as it is inconsistent, sometimes just randomly resizing the window, and sometimes actually maximising the window.

Like: 


  1. Multi-finger swiping. I am not a fan of the touchpad and the mouse is still my favourite orientation tool, but the multi-finger swiping makes the touchpad bearable.
  2. Program installation. The programs that I use have all been available for Mac and the ease of installing the programs surprised me. It's super straight forward with minimum hassle.
  3. The fast start. Being able to just open up the laptop and start working straight away is something that I can really appreciate.

All in all, the Mac is something that I can get used to, but the PC will still be my go to computer of choice. Why you may ask? Well... gaming is so much better on a PC!

No comments:

Post a Comment