Thursday 11 April 2013

Personal Motivation

Today I will be going to an evening seminar with two work colleagues. The title of the seminar is "Unleash the Power within" and even though is not a seminar I would have gone to by myself it will be interesting to see what it is. This seminar concerns what I believe is one of the most important aspects in Swedish culture; how to motivate the individual. This being said I want to reflect in what way motivation is represented in my own experience..

I moved to Sweden when I was 14 after having spent my 7 years of schooling divided between local Turkish school with 30 students in each class, individual homeschooling and international schooling in a mixed classroom with an age range of 6 years. The motivation I had was not "complete fourth grade, or you'll be held back a year" or "if I do this extra work I will end up on the honours list". For me there were no such things. Held back a year? what did that mean? I could complete all my maths for a year in 2 months and still have french assignments left from last year. End up on the honours list? What would I compare? How could I compare with people around me when they could be working on Turkish grammar and I had English literature?

My motivation, I believe most probably came from my parents. All their life they had spent working on something they believed in and their constant motivation of making a difference in the area they  found themselves. I saw my dad work constantly with the pioneer projects that were going on where we lived. I saw my mum motivate and See (with a capital S) the children and families in the area where we lived through her music, art and lessons. I saw both my parents make a difference to the people they met.
Cotton picking family in Turkey
One of my mum's pictures from Turkey, Clicking on the picture will direct to her gallery
I entered the Swedish schooling system with an attitude that anything was possible. My childhood had just proven to me that there is more than one way to developing yourself so why worry? I changed schools 3 times in 3 years, every time because I and my parents did not feel the school did the job of what we believed a school should do, fulfill the needs of the student. Finally entering a school that satisfied our requirements I completed my high school and started university studying the subject that I enjoyed most of all; mathematics.

My motivation developed throughout this time. I studied economics and realised that the best way that I could make a difference is to specialize in the area I was good at and make use of my ability. And I focused on doing what I was good at. And because I was good at it I enjoyed doing it.

What lesson have I learnt from my own experience? I guess not to be afraid to do things differently. The "normal" way does not always have to be the best way.
This does not mean that the "unnormal" way is easy...



No comments:

Post a Comment