Friday 16 August 2013

Cluster Analysis

At work I have been clearing out some old papers and by the end of the day I went to my boss and handed over(dumped) the files and paper that were still of importance to him. He looks at them and sighs. But then his face lights up and says

"Well I've got something for you too!"

Some rummaging and he hands over some photocopied sheets of exercises that have an air of statistics. I am used to receiving random math assignments from him, as his daughter is at the moment studying a technical program at university and he will often come to me to discuss some of the more interesting exercises that he helps her with. I have always recognised the topic, which has meant it has been fun to discuss the subject and compare the difference in educational focus of what he studied many years back and my recent studies in them. But today was different. The following question was presented to me:

"Utför hierarkisk klustring på följande datamängd, först med strategin "närmaste närmaste punkt" och sedan med strategin "närmaste mest avlägsen punkt". Rita de resulterande dendrogrammen och förklara skillnaden."

Roughly translated this becomes:

"Perform hierarchical clustering on the following data set, first using the "nearest neigbour" method and then the "furthest neighbour" method. Draw the resulting dendrogram and explain the difference"

And this was the data-set:



Neither I nor my boss have seen this type of questions before so we had some fun presenting different types of theories to each other with no actual knowledge of the subject. After a while though, we both wanted to actually know what cluster analysis is and the answer to the question.. I proceeded to Google cluster analysis, and after watching a Youtube video by a Mr. Ray Cooksey, skimming through some articles and finding a very good paper going through the basics of Cluster analysis, I was hooked! I managed to explain the difference of the methods to my boss and continued my research in to non-hierarchical clustering.

Definitely a good ending to a work week...

No comments:

Post a Comment