Friday 15 November 2013

Epic Split - Viral clip

One of the new top viral videos is not about cute cats or kids doing what kids do. No, instead it is an amazing advertisement stunt performed by Jean-Claude Van Damme for Volvo Trucks with over 8 million views in two days. Below is the clip:


It is one of the few advertisements I have seen where the stunt has enhanced the product so much I have actually looked up the company. In this case I wanted to find out who had developed this technology and proceeded with my Googling and LinkedIn snooping. (There is probably several confused LinkedIn members wondering what I was doing on their profile).

I didn't find much. Either Volvo Trucks is making sure they don't lose their developers by hiding them or I suck at looking up development teams.

  • I found a job advertisement deadline the 20th for those who are interested
  • There were at least two people, Jan-Inge Svensson and Sten Ragnhult, both senior engineers, who have worked on it.
  • The project is most probably based in Gothenburg
  • Both of the engineers have Facebook
If anyone knows more be sure to tell me, it would be very interesting to know how they developed this amazing technology, the calculation models and how long it took to develop.

I also enjoyed they two different ways they market the same product in different countries. Go to UK's specification for the Truck FM and you will get a 2 page spread of Volvo Dynamic Steering (VDS) with pictures, compared to Sweden's three sentences:. 
One page of UK's two-page specification concerning VDS

Sweden's complete specification concerning VDS
The press release concerning it can be found here. And just to end with a snapshot: from the clip:








No comments:

Post a Comment