Tuesday 9 July 2013

Facebook's Graph Search

I am not the most up-to-date when it concerns new releases. Today Facebook had a little pop up that said something about "Graph Search". Anything with the word graph in it always gets some extra interest from me, and especially when it concerns social media. I therefore start reading up of, what is to me, something I was completely unaware of.

Yesterday, Facebook released its new search engine "Graph Search" for the US users which they've been working on since January. I am, of course, dying to try it out. As I can't, I will have to make do with reading reviews, comments and privacy issues that concerns this. As expected there are many articles concerning "Facebook should..." or "To compare with Google..." or "Once again Facebook is having problem with privacy..." but I want to lift the main things that I found interesting.



Let us start with the source, Facebook's own information about Graph Search. The focus lies on finding information that your friends also are interested in. This covers things like travel, pictures that you tagged in, pictures in a certain area, friends check-in's but what I find most interesting is that there will now be the possibility of finding friends with similar interests and an easier way of finding past posts that you have liked. This is something I felt has been missing from the beginning. There are many times there has been a post that you've liked and then after a couple of months it's impossible to find.



The New York Times has a longer article where it also states that Facebook is also working on integrating third party applications in to the search. This means it will (hopefully) be possible to search for what your friends have written for reviews on Tripadvisor, or what friend of friends enjoy on Goodreads, Spotify or Pininterest.

And this is what I believe will be strong point. It is not about replacing Google as a search engine, it is finally incorporating all the information that is available out there about friends, local events and activities and be able to get the information that is relevant for you at a local level.

No comments:

Post a Comment