Saturday 25 October 2014

Blog Stats - what's up with the antlers?

So I have had my blog for some time and, being a Data Analyst, the most fascinating aspect of having a blog is the data it generates.

So as I'm sure all of you are as interested in stats as I am I thought I would share some of statistics.

First of all, I like see how people actually find my blog. Do they come through Facebook? Google? Other? I want to identify the channels that are mainly generating hits to my blog. I added my blog to Google Analytics in August 2013 so it is now possible for me to see how it has developed over time.

The sources are divided in to 4 main groups;
  • Organic Search - Googling, Binging and the like
  • Referral - Links from other websites not classed as Social
  • Direct - Direct links the blog or links that are not tagged
  • Social - Links from Social sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
So looking at the statistics, it shows that Organic Search has slowly increased over time.




This is also understandable as when there is more content on the blog, there is more that can be searched. I was expecting to see some sort of delay effect in the Organic Search as it takes a while before Google actually properly indexes pages but it is not visible The top deliverers over time has, of course, been the Social channel as I have mainly used this channel to get my blog out on the wide web.

The next thing I wanted to check was what keywords is my blog showing up on searches? Well below you can see the top 30:










I especially like the "moose antlers". Not really sure why that is so popular. *J and K, I'm looking at you!*

Finally it's quite interesting to see where in the world people are coming from when visiting my blog


I must say I am disappointed that there are none in Greenland who are interested in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment