Sunday 8 June 2014

Wilful Ignorance

I have just finished binge-watching the first season of Mr Selfridge. It made me take out my old history books and look at the past events in a new light.

I am an advocate of change through talk. That when people understand the issues, they will agree and change and progress will happen. The naivety of this is not lost on me. But there is special point that I want to mention.

Approach anyone with a subject that you are passionate about and that needs change. Be it immigration, EU-election, equality or the environment. Watch how they will listen and squirm. Wishing they were elsewhere. Wishing the subject could change to something safer, such as the lovely new curtains that are hanging behind you.
Or it becomes the other reaction.
"Yes, I agree." and then the shrug. The dreaded shrug. Showing s/he does not believe there is anything I can do. So there is no point in trying or even talking about it.

Where is the debate? Where is the "but what if we did..." ? Where is the "Have you talked with..."? Where is the engagement?
When did the struggle:


turn in to passive acceptance?



Wilful Blindness. Or Wilful Ignorance. I prefer the wording wilful ignorance. The act of intentionally ignoring facts to avoid making undesirable decisions. I see this everywhere. I do it. It is a survival trait.

How can you feel passionate about equality when you need to check up the game score you know will be discussed at the coffee break at work tomorrow and you do not want to be left out. How could you find time to discuss immigrant issues when you have to make sure your house is presentable? I don't have time to recycle, I need to watch latest season of...

I turn to TED, and particularly Margaret Heffernan to put to words what I cannot

"The really important thing about Gayla is she is ordinary. She's like you, and she's like me. She had freedom, and she was ready to use it" - Margaret Heffernan

1 comment:

  1. Like you Nat Grandpa and I binge watched Mr Selfridge and are waiting patiently for September when it starts again.
    Like you I believe in discussion and debate. Yesterday I watched a good debate on How we should act with Putin. It was interesting to watch how people changed their views after the debate. love you xx

    ReplyDelete