Saturday 28 September 2013

Work work and more work

It's been two hectic weeks at my new job and I've enjoyed every moment of it. The days have been full of training, seminars, workshops and web-based exercises. The main program that has been in use this week for me has been Excel. Diving in to what has been built and expanding it has really been a learning experience. At the moment work is all about catch-up. We are just trying to develop the bare minimum so we have at least something up and running when all 30 hotels are on-board. But I can't wait to start working on the proper tools and start implementing all the ideas we have gathered from the group and the discussions we've had together!


We are a very multinational team, We have Germans, French, Austrians, Belgians, Russian, Australian and Italians in the cluster (or centre, depending on who you ask) and the stereotype jokes are, of course, one of the main subjects during the lunch-breaks. It is definitely a team I feel very comfortable with and I think what made my day was when I mentioned that Terry Pratchett was my favourite author and both the other Data Analyst and my boss replied "Oh he's an amazing writer! My favourite book of his is..."

I have also been cycling the 10 km to work everyday which has been an experience. Being used to cycling in Linköping I didn't realise how spoiled I was until cycling in down-town Stockholm. Bike paths that suddenly end in the middle of roundabouts, bike paths that turn in to bus-stops with buses behind honking at you to move out of the way and cars parked along the bike paths so that the only way around is to cycle in to the road. After a few wrong starts I have now managed to find a route that works. I have even been handed a lovely vest by Stockholm City so that I am visible in the dark. I have already received comments on it, mainly stating the obvious:
"Boy, you're visible!"



Well now I'm off to get ready for the Beer & Whisky Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment