Friday 19 April 2013

Engagemang

I looked at the translation of the Swedish word "engagemang" and got the following words:
Commitment
Involvement
Participation
Dedication
Engagement
Investment
I never realised what a complex word it is. Because I cannot choose just one of these words to explain what it means to "engagera sig".


I had just missed the tram and because it was such a nice evening I decided to walk the last bit home. On the way I called my friend D as I am easily bored and wanted someone to keep me company.


Chatting with D always brings up interesting subjects and this time was no different. The subject of the day became involvement and dedication. During uni I had spent much of my time working with the student union and clubs. My main focus was my work as Student Liaison Officer, but I was also involved in the Student Reception Committee where D was the treasurer. During our time on this Committee we had lots to do and at times, I will not lie, it became too much. But we believed in this involvement and felt it was worth our time. We were a group of 9 people who were dedicated in making sure the reception would be the best ever and lead by a General who would sacrifice anything to make sure we fulfilled our goals...including us...(just kidding, B)


This dedication to a cause is what we realised we were both missing. To be able to feel that what you are contributing is making a difference, making a change. Neither of us are involved in any activities at the moment, and most of the people we spend time with are not involved either. There is the steady plod of going to school/work, going to the gym, watch TV/play computer games and go to sleep and nothing else where dedication is involved. So it's time to find something to get involved with!

No comments:

Post a Comment